I will post links here to various articles, videos, information… about Dhaka, Bangladesh or other related topics :
- Amazing Photography of Dhaka (and many other places around the world) from Zeppelin : http://www.zeppelin-geo.com/galeries/bangladesh/dhaka/dhaka.htm
- The Garment Industry:
- Fashion Revolution Bangladesh and over the world. A global mouvement that “wants to unite people and organisations to work together towards radically changing the way our clothes are sourced, produced and consumed, so that our clothing is made in a safe, clean and fair way.” #whomademyclothes. Click here to see what you can do.
- Clean Clothes Campaign “is a global alliance dedicated to improving working conditions and empowering workers in the global garment and sportswear industries.”
- Overall information about the culture of Bangladesh
- I had no idea that the largest number of migrants in Europe come from Bangladesh! Did you?
- “Bangladesh has made substantial progress in reducing poverty, supported by sustained economic growth […] The country achieved the MDG 1 on halving poverty five years ahead of time, with 20.5 million people rising out of poverty during the 1991-2010 period […] However, sustained growth has rapidly increased the demand for energy, transport and urbanization. […] Bangladesh is both an inspiration and a challenge for policymakers and practitioners of development.”
Read more here about the Worlds Bank overview on Bangladesh’s development
- Did you know that “Bangladesh has a long history of shipbuilding dating back to the early modern era” ? “Bangladesh also has the world’s largest ship breaking industry which employs over 200,000 Bangladeshis and accounts for half of all the steel in Bangladesh”. Take a look at these amazing pictures from The Guardian that illustrate the reality of “Working in a Bangladesh shipyard”